[DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).
Tomas Vera
2003-10-10 20:26:13 UTC
Hello All,
I have a problem that I don't even know where to start solving.

I have a site with a commerce server application running under wwwroot
(localhost/myServerApp). I've been developing on a single server with CS and SQL
installed on the same machine. Everything works as expected.

I've pup'ed the site and have moved it to my "real" server. The actual server is
a cluster, with one node running the web and CS, and the other server running
the SQL server.

When I look at the non CS portion of the site everyhting works as it should.

But as soon as I try to load one of the CS pages, I get the following error:

[DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).
web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error
and where it originated in the code.
[The rest of the messages are below]

From what I've been able to determine, it is a rights issue. I've gone to the
SQL server (WebNode2) and created an account with the name of the IIS server
(IUSR_WEBNODE1); I've tried NOT running under the anonymous user account (used
my own domain logon info) on WebNode1 (IIs Server); All with no success.

The only thing that is odd, is that on the IIs/CS server, when in the CS
Manager, I can't expand the SQL_Servers group. I get an error stating that the
MMC snap-in failed to initialize.

Any ideas? All help is appreciated!

-tomas

FULL TEXT OF ERROR MESSAGES FOLLOWS=============

[DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).
web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error
and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException:
[DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).

Source Error:

request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be
identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80004005): [DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).]
ADODB.ConnectionClass.Open(String ConnectionString, String UserID, String
Password, Int32 Options) +0
SharedFns.ReadSQLDbLocale(String& strAdminConn) +98
SharedFns.SQLGetConnStr() +339

Microsoft.CommerceServer.Interop.Configuration.SiteConfigReadOnlyFreeThreaded.SQLGetConnection()
+168

Microsoft.CommerceServer.Interop.Configuration.SiteConfigReadOnlyFreeThreaded.Initialize(String
bstrSiteName) +291

[CommerceException: [DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).]
SharedFns.ThrowCommerceException(String message, Exception inner) +55

Microsoft.CommerceServer.Interop.Configuration.SiteConfigReadOnlyFreeThreaded.Initialize(String
bstrSiteName) +4234

Microsoft.CommerceServer.Runtime.Configuration.CommerceResourceCollection..ctor(String
siteName) +217

Microsoft.CommerceServer.Runtime.CommerceApplicationModule.InitializeApplication()
+195

Microsoft.CommerceServer.Runtime.CommerceApplicationModule.Init(HttpApplication
appInstance) +76
System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModules() +100
System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context,
HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +158
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext
context) +201
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context)
+241
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +407

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.0.3705.288; ASP.NET
Version:1.0.3705.288
David Messner [MSFT]
2003-10-19 22:51:05 UTC
Tomas, you are correct that this is a permissions issue. DBNMPNTW is the
named-pipes network library for SQL server. Opening a named pipe on a
remote server requires similar permissions as opening a file.

I think you need to run ASPNET as a domain account and give that account
permissions on the SQL box. Or you could use password synchronization with
ASPNET like you were trying with IUSR_machinename. IUSR_machinename won't
come into play in managed sites unless you configure impersonation in the
Web.config. Note if you are on Win2003 Server and running IIS6 in native
mode, then approach is to set the worker process to run under a specific
identity and give that account permissions on the SQL box.

I would also suggest changing to the TCP/IP library for SQL. I think we set
the connection strings to use TCP-IP by default when you UnPuP a site.

regards
-djm
Post by Tomas Vera
Hello All,
I have a problem that I don't even know where to start solving.
I have a site with a commerce server application running under wwwroot
(localhost/myServerApp). I've been developing on a single server with CS and SQL
installed on the same machine. Everything works as expected.
I've pup'ed the site and have moved it to my "real" server. The actual server is
a cluster, with one node running the web and CS, and the other server running
the SQL server.
When I look at the non CS portion of the site everyhting works as it should.
[DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).
web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error
and where it originated in the code.
[The rest of the messages are below]
From what I've been able to determine, it is a rights issue. I've gone to the
------